Instagram Dms Not Working? Here’s Fix

Apart from WhatsApp and Messenger, Instagram DMs have also become an integral part of the chatting world. All of these come under the flagship of the parent company Meta which was previously known as Facebook. Instagram DMs are reliable for connecting all around the world and it works properly 99% of the time. However, we are here to discuss the remaining 1% in this blog of when Instagram Dms Not Working, here’s a fix.

Also read: How to change your region on Instagram?

Instagram DMs Not Working?

We will first discuss the reasons for Instagram DMs not working and then here’s the fix in this blog.

Issues with DMs

The most common reasons behind Instagram DMs not working are as follows:

1. Videos not working

In case of any video-related content not loading on Instagram DMs or you are unable to make video calls to your friends. Then the main problem behind this is an unstable internet connection. Whenever a situation occurs where posts, reels, etc are not loading, the first thing you have to check is your Wifi or internet connection.

2. Disappearing DMs

Sometimes your chat with someone on Instagram disappears out of nowhere and you blame it on Instagram. But most of the time the reason behind it is that person has blocked you on Instagram. This is because Instagram doesn’t make any DMs or chats disappear. So, the only thing possible is that the other person has shut you off so that you are not allowed to contact them on Instagram anymore.

3. Instagram reactions not working

Everyone using Instagram must be aware of the Reactions feature of it. If you are unable to react in Instagram DMs then there must be a technical issue. Now, this technical issue can be an internet issue or a server issue. Lastly, there is a chance that it is happening because your smartphone has a full cache.

Here’s a fix: Instagram DMs Not Working

Instagram users face this issue multiple times when the Direct Message of the platform is not working. The solutions are pretty basic in nature that you will be able to perform them easily.

1. Examine the internet connection

Well, the first thing you need to ensure is that you have an internet connection and it is stable. If your WIFI is not working then you should switch to mobile data or vice versa depending upon your circumstances. This is because Instagram needs a strong internet connection for loading all its posts, memes, reels, etc. along with sending or receiving DMs. So, you can check the connection and continue exploring Instagram.

2. Keep the app up-to-date

It is necessary that you update the app from time to time to ensure that you have the latest version of Instagram on your smartphone. In this way, the app will function properly and you will be able to utilize all the new features it releases especially for DMs. You can do so by navigating to Google Play Store for Androids and Apple App Store for iOS devices. This must solve the problem and if not then let’s move on.

3. Blocked

You need to ensure that the other person has not blocked you on Instagram. You can do so by searching for the username or sending DMs from another Instagram account. If you are able to then it confirms that you have been blocked and that is why you are unable to send DMs from your Instagram account.

4. Server error

The Instagram server may be at fault sometimes and all you can do is wait it out. Every platform sometimes faces server issues so it is not a new thing. The server issues may result in anything ranging from loading posts or sending DMs. This can be sorted from the Meta side only so be patient unless the servers recover.

5. Clear cache

Like every other app, Instagram also gathers cache which needs to be cleared from time to time. If it is not done then it will interfere with the workings of the app. You can do so by following the method given below:

  • Firstly, in the case of Android, you have to navigate to Settings and click on the Applications option. Open it and find Instagram among the list of apps to clear the cache.
  • Secondly, in the case of iOS, the process is the same, only some names can differ.

6. Compliance with DM daily limits

Due to the spamming issues nowadays, Instagram has set up a daily limit. You can send the same content to 5 people on Instagram. However, you have the liberty to send 150 DMs in a day. So, you must comply with this limit or else if Instagram suspects foul play then it may suspend your account.


We hope that our blog ‘Instagram Dms Not Working, Here’s Fix’, which helps in fixing the issue. If the above methods don’t work then you can try using a different device. The last resort is to report a complaint to Instagram so that they can sort the issue from their side. Thank you for reading our blog!

Categorized in: